05 May 2010

Two-and-a-half-years cancer-free

I am back! The last couple of days have been a little stressful for me. After my two-year mark of two years cancer-free, I only have to go to the oncology every six months. Right after that two year mark, I had my X-rays done. Now, half a year later, my CT scan was due. So two years ago, when I had it done the very first time, I found out that I have an allergic reaction to the iodine they inject for the scan. Not fun! Believe me, my entire body was covered in hives and it itched for days..... So last year, they medicated me for 24 hours, which didn't help. It was less itchy but I was still covered in hives for a couple of days. So this year, they tried pre-medicating for 48 hours, 24 before and 24 hours after the procedure!

But let's start from the beginning. I had to get blood work done on Friday, and that was just the beginning of my medical weekend. The kids did great at the doctor's office. (You have to know that I have to be laid down for this! I don't like needles and I can't see blood!) So having Peanut standing and sucking on my pocket book handles, while Coqui tries to 'watch' her.... Well, the staff was very understanding and patient with this. It only took a couple of minutes anyway, but this is an oncology, not a pediatrician! So I appreciate that they love us to come by and check out the babies. And just smile. Smile and say: "No problem. We love babies." What an atmosphere - better than their pediatrician!!!

I mean serious, if there is a 'perfect' place to be sick , then it is this Oncology! I love going there. I always feel safe. I can bring the kids and they will be loved. I can asked stupid and not-so-stupid questions. I absolutely love my oncologist. I believe she is a great doctor but also a great woman to talk to about things that one doesn't talk to anybody about! Usually, I am trembling by the time I get there for my appointment, so being in good hands helps alot.

So Sunday morning, I had to start my pre-meds. I was on Benadryl and a steriod, that is suppose to counteract the sleepiness. So Sunday morning, I felt pretty nauseous. I am not sure from which medication that was. By the afternoon, I felt a little better, but took a nap! Oh yeah!!! In the evening I was fine, and at night, I couldn't sleep. Oh well. So I asked the nurse Monday morning, if I could not take the steroid, but that was not part of their plan! Sorry.

So Monday morning was the CT scan at the oncology. Once again, the staff is phenomenal over there, when we roll in with the entire family! They took good care of me while the Hubby had to entertain the two kiddos! They explain every little detail of what they are about to do to you! The last two years, we had to go to a Radiology, a central place for our city, due to insurance reasons. They are fine over there, but still not even close as this nice! I felt as comfortable as one can be in a situation like this. And to make it short, all went well with the iodine. No reactions then and none later!!! So this 48-hours thing might actually work. (Even though I am not looking forward to do it again next year!)

This morning, Wednesday, I had my regular appointment with my doctor. She is awesome. I was shaking by the time I got there, so the nurses always tell me what a great blood pressure I have - I tell them they should catch me on a day when I don't have to see the doc!!! (I have very low blood pressure!) Coqui was such an awesome little boy. We brought his Leapster with us, so he could play while the nurses were watching him when Mami was inside the doctor's room! Just Peanut did not cooperate well. I had saved giving her her bottle for then, but she wanted to be with me! So she had to come in the room with me!!! Oh what fun!!! (For all the people who have no idea, please imagine bringing your baby to the OB-Gyn appointment!!! Now you know what I am talking about!)

The doctor told me that everything looked good on the scan! Hallelujah! Praise God!!! What a relieve. It had been so stressful for me up to this point. Then the rest of the exam was a breeze and over in no time. (I don't like the exam!) I should have the results from the swap test by Friday, but she said everything looks great!!! I love her. And we always find a few moments to just chat about our families! Did I mention that I love her? Yeah. I believe that I had to come to this city to get cancer just for her! I KNOW that I wouldn't have found a doc as good as her on the east coast! I feel blessed!

So I hope I can write a little more often now! Having this big milestone behind me.


C. Beth said...

That is SO wonderful! Although if you ever don't want to bring the kids with you, please feel free to leave them with me. :)